Pages

Saturday 24 May 2014

Moving (blogging) house

It began in February 2011, when I was persuaded to set up my own business as a web designer. I'm not business-minded, I just like to mess about on the internet. I tried various web hosting providers and eventually settled on iPage as the best paid provider. I ran the business for two years, putting bread on the table to the best of my ability.
However, being undercut by cheaper or free services on one side and amateurs who thought they knew better on the other in a saturated market for new and startup businesses, I never really stood much of a chance. In a case like that you need to smooch and slog it out as best you can. I didn't smooch enough, was easily distracted and there's not much I can do about people who use tables to build websites, don't bother with a logo, yet still think they know more about web design than I do.

Well it didn't pay me quite enough to get by so I got a full-time job doing admin at a facilities management company and I've been there ever since.

The web design business had to go but I still blog from time to time. The experience of learning my trade on the hoof and the relationships I built with great tutors on the internet still come in handy - I've designed my own logo and background for this and I still remember what "CSS" stands for.

However, my current hosting plan runs out in August and I don't plan to renew it so I'm moving here to Blogger. I'm not doing web design any more, and haven't since last year when I started work. From now on, I may talk about web design from time to time but my main focus will be commentary and opinion on the society, the internet, and anything else that catches my fancy.

I've imported my old blog so you can read my other posts as most of them are still relevant.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment