Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

PayPal And The Power of Social Media

A few days ago I wrote about how to resolve problems with PayPal. They've confirmed that the account of the non-payer who is using an email account that belongs to me has been limited and he can not receive money using that email address.


They've got my back, they say, but can't give too much away because even though I'm the one who set up the account I can't be kept in the loop about what happens to it. Fair enough. I was stupid to have added a certain conman's email address to it and got shafted by him. Lesson learned: if I set up an account on PayPal for someone I'll take payment upfront before I do so and after they've paid me for the website.


What I did


I was annoyed when they told me they can't remove details from another person's account. On the phone I was politely informed that it is effectively none of my business because it's someone else's account so I went mad on the social media, leaving messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In. You have to be reasonable when you do this, so I left messages like "Please resolve case ################" and "@PayPalUK I've reported that someone else is using an email address belonging to me on his PayPal account. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/fmjiq1." When I got no response initially I visited their Linked In and Facebook pages and posted this tweet "http://www.twitlonger.com/show/fmjiq1 #PayPalUK #fraud #fb I'm going to tweet this every day until this is resolved." I'd left a message with Mr. Clarke, who kindly responded today, but I'll deal with that in a bit.


@PayPalUK


They followed me and invited me to follow back in order to resolve the matter. It's important to be respectful so I thanked them and got to the nub of the problem. There was a bit of confusion till the facts were properly related but the upshot is they confirmed that there is indeed a limitation on the account. Suspicious, I sent a test payment to info@elitebusinesstobusiness.com and it went through with no problem. When I reported this they told me Stan would not be able to collect his $0.01 because the payment won't complete. There was no indication of this on my end, though, I have to take their word for it but they have confirmed that there is a limitation on the account until the email address is removed.


Facebook


They responded to my message by asking for details and I told them that their people on Twitter were dealing with it. They deleted the message I left. They must get hundreds of these if the fuss on the internet complaint sites is anything to go by.


Linked In


I'd left a message on the Linked In message board and when they replied I told them their people on Twitter were dealing with it. Then Mr. Clarke replied and I realised I still had an ace in the hole: the address Stan had given as his home address is fake, it's for Micron Damp and Dry Rot Control. I took the opportunity to rat about the fake address while admitting that I'd put it on when setting up the website because I'd done it in good faith. "If he blames me I've got a CV he sent me with the address on it," I said, and gave him mine to prove that I'm not the liar. I also pointed out that Stan had tried to con the Kirsty Club and that none of the references on his CV check out. He can have all the evidence I've got if he wants it, including direct contact details for the Midland Hotel and the Kirsty Club.


So there we are; no need for any further complaints and PayPal's got my back. I'm happy to continue to deal with them and to recommend them for transferring money at home or abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment